Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Our Reading Streak...

Currently I am reading "The Reading Promise" by Alice Ozma....
It is a wonderful story written by a daughter, about a reading promise she and her dad started when she was only 9 years old.  Her dad, an elementary school librarian, was worried his daughter would soon announce to him that she was too big for him to read to her anymore (his older daughter had already done this to him). In an attempt to buy some time he suggested to his daughter that they read for 100 nights in a row.

After they had successfully read 100 nights in a row they celebrated over pancakes and french toast, and made an even longer promise...1,000 consecutive nights of reading.   This reading streak went far beyond 1,000 nights...and lasted until the daughter went away to college. 

I told my little book worm about my book, and this promise a dad and daughter made together.  I asked her if maybe she would like to make a committee to read everyday for the summer, and she said yes, but wanted to know if we could start right away. 

Macey wants to read for 1,000 nights.  She knows it is a very long time, because she asked me how many years would make up 1,000 nights.  Currently we are on the 4th evening of our reading streak and into our 2nd book, "Pippi Longstockings," by Astrid Lindgren.  (On a side note I have my mother's copy of the book and it was only $0.25, Macey got a copy at the library and it cost $15.99.)

Between the two of us we have started making our list of books we want to read together.  The rules are to read at least ten minutes a day before midnight.  It will be fun to see if we are up to the challenge.  I can hardly wait to see where this journey will take us.  And I love the fact that I have someone to share my love of reading with! 

No comments:

Post a Comment