Monday, August 13, 2012

Sweet Moments


At least twice a month I make the 214 mile round trip journey from Terry Haute to the North side of Indy to retrieve my boy either from his dad’s or my parents. Admittedly, I hate the drive. It is hardly something that I look forward too.

However, when I look back, there are so many memories crammed into these Sunday drives. Freakish weather, road construction, car troubles, emergency bathroom breaks, heavy traffic, non-stop singing in the back seat from our daughter, fighting kids, serious discussions, to hysterical giggles (click here).

A couple of weeks ago I got to go by myself to get Gavin. My parents were on vacation so it was just the trip there and back. Gavin, being the twelve year old that he is, usually keeps to himself. He will climb into the car, plug his earphones in and stare out the window. However this day he was unusually talkative, filling me in on all sorts of 12 year old things of interest.
Riding shot gun he sports his new sunglasses and turns up the tunes. The weather was cooler, nice enough to roll the windows down and open the sunroof, so we did. The sun was starting to set casting golden tones across the landscape. I can see Gavin bopping to the beat of the music, hand keeping time outside the passengers’ window. Together we sang loudly. And for the first time in awhile I wish the ride was longer. I found myself slowing down just a little to make it last. It was nice to just be with my boy, riding off into the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment