Wednesday, May 27, 2015

1,000 Blessings

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippines 4:11-14

I think all of us seek love and happiness, but I am learning that these things are not something you can just wish for, however something you have to work for. Even the great apostle Paul said he had to LEARN to be content. Happiness is something you have to open your eyes to and pursue.

I am guilty in this thinking "if I could only _____ then I would be happy!"

if these specific circumstances would change
if I only lived on the beach
If I learned to do this
If I got that promotion
If I weighed my ideal body weight
If I had that relationship
If I had money
If I could go on that vacation
If my body would not fail me
If my kids would listen to me

and on and on, etc

But life takes no prisoners and shows no prejudges...it happens to the best of us. Situations beyond our control will come and find us regardless of if we are a good person or not. Most likely there will always be something in our lives that will rob us from the joy we desire. Time doesn't stop while we deal with hard things, and we are only given so much time. How will you choose to spend time? I will choose to find joy amidst the drama.

I've been reading "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. She struggled with finding joy and believing in God after witnessing the death of her sister. She started a list of 1,000 things of which to be happy about. In the naming of her blessings she found Joy.

So I will pick up my camera and see if I can name 1,000 things. Do I have 1,000 blessings to experience? I cannot wait to see!

#1 A Sound of Music Twirl - Arms outstretched hair blowing in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment