Friday, March 12, 2010

Flash Back Friday - The Starting of US

When we were younger and cuter...



So here is what I wrote in my journal about Paul after our 1st date.... End of June 2003

After a few months of emailing, and a few quick phone conversations, we decided to finally meet face to face. (we actually found each other on eharmony) I think I will forever remember how nervous I felt. As anxious as I was to meet him, the fear to take this to the next step is overwhelming. The anticipation had me eating Tums all afternoon, and into the date.

We arranged to meet at Cheeseburger in Paradise. I got there first, thankfully, because I needed a drink. I was eyeing everyone at the bar trying to pick Paul out of the crowd. And there he was...I knew him when I saw him, walking across the parking lot. Instantly he made me smile, even before he saw me. I got up and gave him a hug. I felt as if I already knew him, a familiar friend. He didn't hug back much. Later he told me it was the most comforting part of the entire evening.

He was gorgeous. I was taller than him with my sisters heels on. Of course my sisters had to dress me for the occasion. He was wearing a blue shirt, that reflected the blue in his eyes. We were both nervous.

Our overly excited islander welcomed us to paradise. I became more comfortable, but still couldn't eat. I think I probably only ate two entire bites of my meal. He probably thinks I never eat.

We joked about the things we could make up about the other to our friends the next day at work. I decided on telling my friends he showed up to our date in his post office uniform, with black knee socks pulled all the way up(he was working at the post office at the time). And that he asked me to cut up his hamburger for him. He choose the silent treatment to his friends. I was going to tell all my friends that I felt as if I were on a date with Cliff from Cheers.

Paul kept nodding his head from side to side...I think he was nervous.

After dinner we drove downtown and went for a walk on the canal. When we were walking some people passed by and made me nervous. I don't know how Paul sensed my concern. "I've got your back" he told me, so calm, and then he touched me. I think I felt at that moment he could be trusted.

The ride home was quiet, later he told me that I intimidated him. He thought I wasn't interested.

At the end of the date Paul zipped out of my car as fast as he could "Thanks, I had a wonderful time." Then we went home and waited to see when the other would call...

He called me the next day. And life felt good!

Photo was taken in October 2003 at the River in Derby Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment