Saturday, January 22, 2011

The library...

Random facts about me and the library...

In Lisa Scottoline’s “My Nest Isn’t Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space,” she refers to herself as a library slut. I laughed out loud, for I do resemble this statement!!!

Currently there are 18 items checked out on my library card.

The first library that I remember going to was in Kennebunk, Maine. My great grandmother whom I called Great Grand Nana introduced me to this wondrous place. In the summers when I went to visit her, she would let me use her library card. The building was beautiful with black and white floor tiles and real woodwork on the doors and trim. I would walk down into the basement where they had the children’s section and I was transformed into my own little world.

I think the library was the 2nd thing I got to go and do on my own. I think walking to the post office to get our family’s mail was the 1st. And the first few things you get to do all on your own are always a big deal.

When I was a single mom with Gavin and we had no money to buy things, or do things, you could always find us at the library.

At one point Gavin and I lived across from the library, and one evening my mom came to see us. We were not at home…she drove to the library, and of course that was where she found us.

When Gavin was young he made friends with a librarian named Pat. She was so good to my little Gavin. I missed her when we moved away.

Having a glass of wine, buying a new outfit, or visiting the library all have the same gratifying effect on my mood without the guilt or the hangover.

I visit the library at least three times a week.

Once I had to replace a library book because Macey threw it in the bathtub. She was two, and it was my book, I was right in the middle of it…and I never did finish it to find out what happened.

Once I had to replace a photography book from the library because Jack got a hold of it and ate the entire cover. The inside of the book was intact…so I was actually happy he ate it because it is a really great book and I am glad to have it, chewed cover and all.

In all this reminiscing of the library I decided to take Macey today to get her own library card. Her first real piece of identification. She has to sign her name and everything.

It was great that they had her favorite book to check out first!

I wish I had taken a picture of her signing her name on the application. I was too busy enjoying the moment. She was trying so hard to be cool and not be beaming ear to ear, but she was. I saw it.

Macey says she is going to keep her library card forever, or until she dies. I am happy she is so proud! It is a big deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment