Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Great Lines From Great Books

I read all the time and I keep a log of great lines from books that I have liked. Here are a few....



"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." Henry Miller

The Geography of Bliss – Eric Weiner



"There is a moment in all acts when there is no turning back. The step over the cliff, the finger committing to the trigger and the hammer falling the bullet erupting from the chamber unstoppable."

The Walk by Richard Paul Evans



"Death is like being in the next room."

The Walk by Richard Paul Evans



"Revenge is a dish, best served cold."

A Prisoner of Birth - Jeffery Archer



"Can someone really be gone if you know where they are?"

90 Minutes in Heaven – Don Piper



"that there are no random acts. That we are all connected, that you can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind."

The Five People you Meet in Heaven – Mitch Albom



"God provides through people. Am I willing to be connected to the people in my world?"

Mosaic - Amy Grant



"So this is how you pack for Heaven…touching everything and taking nothing."

Have a little Faith – Mitch Albon



"There are heroes and there are the rest of us. There comes a time when you just let go of the ghost of the better person you might have been."

Reservation Road - John Burnham Schwartz



"And a person ought to pay the fate on their own obsession."

The Tommyknockers – Stephen King



"It’s a lot easier to see actions as either right or wrong without shades of explanation between them."

House Rules - Jodi Picoult

****************************************************************************
And this is a long one...but I think she said it perfectly! I couldn't of said it any better myself...


"The search for God is the reversal of the normal mundane worldly order. In the search for God you revert from what attracts you, and you swim towards that which is difficult. You abandon your comforting and familiar habits with the hope, the mere hope, that something greater will be offered to you in return for what you have given up. Every religion in the world operates on the same common understandings of what it means to be a good disciple; get up early and pray to your God, hone your virtues, be a good neighbor, respect yourself and others, master your cravings.

We all agree that it would be easier to sleep in, and many of us do, but for millennial there have been others who choose instead to get up before the sun, and wash their faces and go to their prayers, and then fiercely try to hang on to their convictions though the lunacy of another day.

The devote of this world perform their rituals without guarantee that anything good will ever come of it. Of course there are plenty of scriptures and plenty of priests who will make plenty of promises as to what your good works will yield, or threats to the punishments awaiting you if you lapse. But even to believe all this is an act of faith, because no one amongst us is shown the end game. Devotion is diligence without assurance. Faith is a way of saying that “Yes, I pre-accept the terms of the universe and I embrace in advance what I am presently incapable of understanding.”

There’s a reason we refer to leaps of faith because the decision to consent to any notion of divinity is a mighty jump from the rational over to the unknowable, and I don’t care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of book and prove to you though scripture that their faith is indeed rational. It isn’t. If faith were rational it wouldn’t be by definition “faith.” Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face first in full speed into the dark. If we truly knew all the answers in advance as to the meaning of life, and the nature of God, and the destiny of our souls our believe would not be a leap of faith, and it would not be a courage act of humanity it would just be a prudent insurance police. I’m not interested in the insurance industry. I am tired of being a skeptic. I am irritated by spiritual prudence. And I feel bored and parched by empirical debate. I don’t want to hear it anymore. I couldn’t care less about evidences, proof and assurances. I just want God. I want God inside me. I want God to play in my blood stream the way sun light amuse itself on water."

Eat Love Pray – Elizabeth Gilbert


So what are some of your favorite things you have read from a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment