Monday, March 21, 2011

Camera Lesson

Assignment #1: Get to know your camera and read your camera’s manual

New cameras can be intimidating and overwhelming for any new user. My friend got a new SLR camera for Christmas and she just doesn’t know how to use it. She is not alone. I’ve been thinking about sharing some of my camera tips with my readers for awhile and decided that I am going to take a go at it. I don’t know how articulate I will be at sharing with you all the technical knowledge I have stored in my head. All I know is that we are going to start simple and work our way up, which won’t be very far because I still have much to learn. But maybe in just covering the basic I can share with you a little of my passion.

This week’s lesson is about as simple as it gets…use your camera. Don’t be intimated by all the buttons and knobs…break it out of its case and get to know it. The other half of this assignment will most likely require more than a week of your time, but it is simply a must if you want to take good images…read your camera’s manual.

People hand me their camera’s all the time because they know I have spent my fair share of time behind the lens, but even I need to read the camera’s manual. In fact if I go on a shoot I always have my manual with me, because sometimes things happen. The manual is an essential bible. Just like you usually leave your car manual in the glove box of your car, don’t ever leave your manual far behind. If you have lost your manual most manufactures will be able to supply you with a new one if you contact them.

I challenge all of you to break out the camera and take at least 30 photos this week. They don’t have to be masterpieces. Remember why you bought the camera in the first place. Did you buy it to capture landscapes, a vacation, children, family events, for a hobby? Everyone has to start somewhere, so start today! Look at something through the lenses of your camera and take the picture.



p.s. Happy 1st Day of Spring. I don't know about you, but already I feel rejuvenated! My magnolia tree is even starting to bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment