Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Truth...

I have always prided myself in being as open with my kids as possible. If they ask me a question, I am going to give them an honest answer no matter how difficult, embarrassing or hard to explain. I have to say that for me and my eleven year old this has worked in my favor. I am glad that he is able to ask me what he heard about on the bus, or from his friends. He knows that I will tell him. I use to dread these grown up talks that I would have with my son, but surprisingly it is not so bad. Actually, I have found it an honor.

However, the things that I find the hardest to be honest about are the things that I just don't know.

While my eleven year old is interested in the human body and sexuality, my five year old is asking about life's biggest mysteries. The things we all as individuals struggle with on our personal journey. Sadly, I find myself most uncomfortable with her questions about the afterlife. What are heaven and hell like, and what happens when we die? This is only because I do not know what lies on the other side myself.

In all my comings and goings, all the things I have seen in my 37 years, I do believe that there is something. Something powerful enough to rage a war over the entire world...look at the news! This is what terrorism is based upon. It is why countries fight, why so many die. I do believe that This being on the other side is so much greater than what our human minds can comprehend...and I don't believe there is only one way to find The God that is over everyone.

I myself confess that even I am afraid of what I will find on the other side. However, last night my five year old said this out of the blue..."Right now, here on earth we are just on vacation from Heaven, and someday we will all go home." Typing this gives me chills. Wow!

I think my five year old just might have it, a simple truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment