Monday, August 29, 2011

The Power of Words...

I've been playing with this blog for awhile, and find it very difficult to share. I am sure that others will identify with me once they read it. Words have a powerful effect on us. That old saying "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." No way...words can hurt. Not only can they hurt they can heal, they can help us find ourselves, offer encouragement, push us towards who we need to be. They can free us, lead us deeper in love, or help us say good-bye.

Surprisingly words can be deeply intimate, even when you don't know the person well. We've all had a bad day at work where some customer, patient, co-worker blows up in our face and throws insults the same as punches. Or, sometimes a stranger in passing can say just the perfect thing we needed to hear, leaving us wondering if angels really do walk among us.

Throughout my life I have spoken and been spoken too. Here are some of the words that
made an impression on me. As if these words play on some sort of film reel, they revisit me from time to time. Some were pleasant, some were hurtful, all were sincerely delivered to me in the moment. Some were true, some were wrong, some I find impossible to share.

If my life should ever flash before my eyes I am sure that these words will replay in my mind one last time.


"Kary, you should never worry because things work out for you, they always do."

"You will never make it on your own!!!"

"Pretty girls almost always fly."

"You deserve to be happy."

"I may have been with someone, but I always felt alone until I found you."

"Mommy, I love you!"

"Hello daughter-in-law."

"I cannot wait until you are gone!"

The "I am sorry" not spoken in words, but said just by holding my hand while I cried.

"Here, he is all yours, enjoy him."

"You can do anything you have to do."

"I just don't think I love you anymore."

"It was nothing you did. Something was genetically wrong. I know it doesn't seem like it at the time, but it is really a blessing in disguise."

"Time and truth go hand in hand."

"When we die we are just taking a vacation to heaven."

"Sorry, you just missed her."

"I LOOoooove you." sung

"I don't like liars."

"Hey Friend!"

"Look down and see your baby girl."

"In the end it doesn't matter who is wrong or right. If one of you wants to go then there is nothing you can do to stop it from happening."

"I do!"

"When I think of you......."

"I love you six million."

"We will get through this."

"Here's to the first day of forever."

"I'll see you soon."

No comments:

Post a Comment