Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Special Place to Belong



Use to be my special place was 1,800 plus miles away from my door step. I spent my summers on the sandy beaches of Maine, surrounded by my grandparents and aunts and uncles. That place holds so much romance for me. I have learned over time that it really wasn’t the place so much as it was the people that I spent time with in this extraordinary home away from home.

Now my special place is only a few hours away in a bright red crooked cabin that overlooks the Ohio River. I have been going with Paul and his family to the river since the first year we started going out (seven years ago). There is nothing to do there, but that is part of the charm of this sleepy town called Derby.

Just like Maine, Derby has a magic all its own, but it’s more about the memories that we share with each other that make it special. Derby has become a tradition, the place we travel to each October. No sooner do we say good bye, we are planning the next years visit.

A list of some of my favorite memories…
Conserving water, running into deer, hangovers, beer can pick up duty, full moon,

dead end sign at the cemetery, the trip to see where a plan had crashed, watching barges,

wisdom teeth recovery, Paul’s fall, fishing from the docks, the Lookout restaurant,

Capers, Cannelton’s happening fall festival (NOT!) , making Christmas list, a shower so small that if you don't stand just right the shower curtain will stick to your leg,

boat rides, Papsy cooking bacon every morning, carving pumpkins, a stray dog I wanted to keep,

Jack’s first swim, King of the Rock, camp fires, puzzles,

getting up before everyone else to capture the sight of the sun rise, and the sound of the banging back door.

The cabin is worn,and so familiar that you feel as if it actually is the place you grew up in...just like a home that truly belongs to you! I can't wait to see what this years visit has in store for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment